Costa Tropical? Where is that? Everyone knows about Barcelona, Madrid, Valencia and Costa del Sol, but not many know about Costa Tropical.
We are often asked “Why did you choose to live in Almuñécar (Costa Tropical) Spain?”. The list of reasons are endless, but we thought we would share with you why we fell in love with Costa Tropical, a small stretch of Spain along the Mediterranean. Obviously when choosing a location to call home there are other factors, such as education etc. We just wanted to share with you what captured our hearts.
Things We Love About Costa Tropical Spain
- Hands down there are extremely Friendly people in Costa Tropical
- Picturesque rugged cliffs plunging straight into the sea
- One hour from 2 good-sized airports (Malaga and Granada)
- Quaint small white villages
- Hiking in the hills and mountains as well as along the coast
- One hour from snow skiing and Sierra Nevada Mountains
- Watching the fishermen return in the mornings from the sea
- Scuba diving
- Costa Tropical is Not overrun with tourists
- “Real Southern Spain” (Otivar or Spanish Culture mixing with modern times)
- Living within walking distance to Roman Ruins!
- Watching the sun set over the Mediterranean
- Driving through the windy mountain roads passing through enormous gorges
- Watching the local artisans perform their crafts (Spanish Guitars)
- Ease of access with or without a car – connected with public transit
- The variety of small towns to walk around
- Fresh local Produce – at very low-cost
- Markets (The Friday Market, Municipal Market, Medieval Market)
- Crazy Inexpensive Good Wine and Cava
- Everyone is out walking on the promenade in evenings
- The water fountains in each village
- The daily mood of the Mediterranean Sea
- Family Friendly with playgrounds everywhere
- Options for Naturist or Topless Beaches
- Aqua park!
- Watching the paragliders
- Affordable living
- Wild life park
- Looking at San Cristobal Beach every single day
- Many of the towns have a Castle in the center
- Simple Family Life
- Panderias – Fresh bread daily
- Zumo – fresh squeezed OJ
- Interesting Architecture in town buildings
- Pedestrian only zones in town centers
- Creatively designed cobblestone streets & paths
- Cafe con leche for about 1 Euro!
- Flowers everywhere, All Year Long!
- People watching in Almuñécar Center Plaza
- Farinel – Vittorios pizza
- Affordable rental properties with sea view
- Awesome Bacon
- Flamenco Dancing at restaurants
- The Climate – Beautiful sunny breezy days 90% of the time
- Traditional Festivals and Celebrations – Semana Santa
- Extremely mild winters
- Close proximity for amazing day trips
- Watching the sun rise over the Mediterranean
- Watching the local basket weaver
- Experiencing the making of a 10 foot wide paella
- Hearing the Almuñécar Church bells ring
- Good Tide Pooling
- Fresh Seafood – We are not big seafood eaters, but it is nice to have the variety when we want to step out of our comfort zone and try something new.
- Romantic Hidden Coves
- Did I forget to mention ——-The Climate – Beautiful sunny breezy days 90% of the time
- Terraced Hillsides
- Open air farmlands
- Diversity of multinational locals
- Almuñécar is a hidden gem
- The age and history of the area dating back over 2000 years
- The towns are “Alive” in the winter
- Very low crime and safe for families
- No matter where we travel in Spain we come back to Almuñécar and know this was without a doubt the right place for us to call Home.
There are also many organized tours for you to enjoy from being active on walking or biking tour, to enjoying a food or wine tour. There is so much to do and Viator has so many great offers for you. Click here to see their latest Malaga Deals!
Where to Stay in Costa Tropical
We have the best Spain holiday rentals here:
- Apartments & Villas – click here for deals (Over 2000 listings for the area)
- Apartments, Villas, & more – click here for availability and pricing (Over 1000 listings, some have long-term rental pricing as well)
- Apartments, Hotels & more – click here for availability and pricing
Property Owners: you may list your holiday property or room rental for free!
Select the appropriate image, if you are interested in Moving to Spain, Visiting Spain, or the cost of living in Spain. We also share our cost of family travel in Southeast Asia. You can also see more info about our town and learn more about the area on Almunecar Info.