Health Insurance In Spain for expats it isn’t difficult to obtain and is very affordable compared to the US standard. The insurance companies we recommend provide healthcare in Spain for expats, students, retirees, and more. This topic is one of the most popular consulting questions we receive. After helping hundreds of people move to Spain, we share the top recommendations with you. If you are planning a move to Spain for any reason and plan to become a resident, it is likely that you will be required to show proof of private health insurance coverage. Check with your Spanish consulate for the specific requirements, but most of them now have the following listed for health insurance in Spain:
Non Deductible proof of health insurance with international coverage from a private health insurance for the intended period of stay in Spain. The insurance company must operate in Spain and must cover full medical costs and repatriation resulting from accident or sudden illness or death.
Spain Health Insurance
Basically, when you contact the insurance company for a quote, you will need to ensure it is for expats. This you would pay for insurance that would mimic the services the healthcare in Spain, which is provided to citizens and those contributing to the social security system. The means:
- No deductible (no minimum to pay prior to coverage)
- No co-pay (no fee per visit to pay)
- No waiting periods (access to general procedures right away.)
*there are likely a few wait periods for some conditions like childbirth or oncology.
- Repatriation (in the case of death, the return of remains to the home country)
You just pay for your policy and then you don’t need to worry about any fees at all when you have a medical visit or procedure.
How do I ask for the Cost of Health Insurance in Spain?
- You will need to provide your citizenship, name, and date of birth for each applicant.
- You will also need to tell them which visa you plan to apply for, so they can be sure you are getting a quote for the correct coverage. (Student Visa, Non-Lucrative Visa, Retirement Visa, Work Visa, Investment or Golden Visa, and so on) If you are an EU citizen you obviously don’t need a visa, but they do require you to show proof of health insurance.
- Specify you need no deductible, no co-pay and repatriation included.
Once you have the initial quote, you may apply.
Health Insurance for Spanish Residency – Application Process
Once you decide on a plan that is right for you an application must be submitted. This also includes a medical questionnaire. This is where any pre-existing conditions need to surface, as they could change the price or the way they write the policy. Some health insurance companies may be able to provide you coverage, depending on the condition. Some will also write the policy, excluding the condition (meaning you are completely covered except for your condition). Others will not cover you at all. Save yourself a little time and be upfront with this information.
Our Top Recommendations for Private Health Insurance in Spain for Expats
Caser Seguros for Expats – click here for a quote
Caser Seguro is one of the leading insurance companies in Spain and has been doing business for nearly 85 years. They are trusted and have a good network of coverage throughout Spain. They now offer special coverage for expats in Spain.
Some of the key expat features include:
- Offering health coverage for people up to 64 years-old
- Caser offers a dedicated English-speaking claims and customer service telephone line. Telephone and on-line medical support 24 hours a day.
- Assistance in various languages (English, French, German, Dutch).
- Offering multi-insurance products including Private Medical, auto, life, pet, home, and more.
- Caser has a special policy for Residency and Visas and can be contracted with a passport.
- No copay
- No deductible
- Dental included
- Policies may be contracted up to 2 months in advance of the policy start date.
- All policies are annual and will begin on your contract start date, so it isn’t tied to the calendar year like it is with a few of the competitors.
- The policy rates are extremely competitive.
SegurCaixa Adeslas – Click Here for more information
Adeslas is the biggest network of doctors in Spain and will certainly meet your needs for residency. We have several clients who use SegurCaixa Adeslas and are very happy with their plan. We have received excellent feedback on good customer service and prices, which means happy customers! You do need to specify you want the expat package with no copay (sin copago). This will also include dental and travel insurance anywhere in the world for trips under 90 days. They also offer a car, home, pet, and other insurance policies so you get discounts with bundles.
- Student health insurance, with no copay, including repatriation
- Expat health insurance Spain, with repatriation and no copay
- Senior health insurance specific to customers ages 70 to 84. In addition, they can request special permission for those more than 84 years old.
Please contact Lorena or Paloma (they speak English) and can provide you with an estimate.
Contact: Lorena or Paloma at Segurcaixa Adeslas for more information. (Let them know Heidi sent you)
Sanitas for Expats – click here for a quote
This is the most popular for expats and will certainly meet the residency requirements. When you ask for a quote using our link, it will take you to an English-speaking agent to assist you through the process. Many of our clients opt for this coverage and are very happy with the ease of the communication, the excellent coverage and the network of doctors available within Spain. Sanitas Expats provides excellent customer service. It is preferred for you to have a Spanish bank account for the payment. If you don’t have one, they will likely ask for payment of a full year in advance. Then once you obtain an account, they will update your records and you will have the option to pay monthly, quarterly, twice a year, or annually. We have a comparison chart of Sanitas Expat insurance plans on our Almunecar Info site, but not all plans displayed will meet the residency requirements. It is just to give you an idea of what is offered.
Visa approved medical insurance
- Expat health insurance in Spain, with repatriation and no copay
- Student health insurance, with no copay, including repatriation. Click here for detailed student information.
INSBROK Private Health Insurance Spain – Click here to request a quote
With over 35 years of experience, Insbrok can help you with your insurance needs. They are dedicated to helping English-speaking clients wishing to reside in Spain. They offer private health insurance, home insurance, pet insurance, and more. The Valencia-based team handles policies with many different health insurance companies all over Spain, so getting a quote from them saves you time from contacting several different companies yourself. If there is a particular provider network you are used to or would like to be in, they will find the right coverage for you. So do you have questions? You may read more about the FAQ’s here and find answers to those questions (waiting periods, deductibles, payments, pre-existing condition, repatriation, buying before you arrive, and more).
Healthcare in Spain for Expats
With each of these companies, you are sure to be in a network with excellent healthcare for expats. Their networks cover the entire country and will include travel insurance in your plan, depending on which policy you select. We also detail out our personal experience, as well as our cost of health insurance in Spain. When we applied, they did not have the same requirements, so our insurance is slightly different.