I know you are curious about the cost of things in Spain, as that is a popular question we are often asked. I thought we would show you a little here an there about our Spain food costs. If you have any other curiosities, feel free to ask us and we will be glad to share with you.
Spain Food Costs
As far as the listed price, all tax is included. So what you see is what you pay. I love that! We will list items in the local currency (Euros) and then you can check the current exchange rates, as this will change the cost of things in Spain for your currency.
A few notes on money here:
- The Euro sign € is often placed between the Euro and cents. so 2.20 = 2€20. They would tell you it is Dos con Veinte Euros (2 with 20).
- Euros is pronounced (Ay ooh rows)
Every letter is pronounced. I was saying (yur os).
- The decimal and comma placements are opposite of USA. So 2,445 in USA is 2.445 here and 3.20 in meters would be 3,20. (The kids caught on to this very quickly at school)
- Cents are centavos, but I rarely hear it used.
I am sharing the prices from our local market in Almunecar Spain. These prices will of course vary depending on the region or location within Spain. Just like any other country things can be a bit more expensive in the cities and sometimes a little cheaper in the smaller towns. Almunecar is in an agricultural area, so produce can be less expensive.
So what do everyday things cost?
- A dozen Eggs is about €1.70 (Una docena de Huevos)
- Sliced white Bread is about €1 (Pan de molde)
- 6 pack of Pepsi/Coke about €3 (Seis lata’s de Pepsi)
- 2 pack of 2 liter Pepsi or Coke €2.50 (Dos litro botella de Pepsi)
- 1 Liter of OJ €,63 cents (Un litro de Zumo de Naranja)
- 1 Liter of Milk €,69 cents (Un litro de Leche)
- 1 bar of Butter €,98 cents (Mantequilla) equivalent to 2 sticks of butter in USA.
- 6 small flavored Greek or regular Yogurt €1.60 (Yogur Griego)
- A Baguette €,40 cents (Un barra de Pan)
- Bag of Rice €1.20 (Un paquete de Arroz)
- Bag of Flour €,45 cents (Un paquete de Harina)
- Bag of Sugar €1.02 (Un paquete de Azucar)
- Bag of Pasta €,85 cents (Un paquete de Pasta)
- Bag of dried Beans (pinto, red, etc) €1.90
- Box of Cereal prices vary €1.20 to €4.20
- Sliced Lunch Meat package (turkey, chicken, ham) €1.30 (Lonchas de Pavo, Pollo, Jamon)
- 1 Kilo of Strawberries prices vary from €2.20 – €3.20 depending on the season/harvest.
- 5 Kilo of clean potatoes €3.29
- Boneless, skinless Chicken Breast about €5.95 per kilo (Pechuga de Pollo)
- Bag of Ice €,90 cents (Bolsa de Hielo)
- Saltine Crackers €2.20 (Cracker con sal)
- Produce is fairly inexpensive, as much of it is locally grown. 1 kg of strawberries €2.89. 1 bag of apples €1.39
- Colgate Toothpaste €1.75
- Toothbrush (3pack) €1.20
- Waxed Dental Floss €1
- Body Wash or hand soap varies by brand €1.00 – 2.20
- Laundry Soap €3.20 for 40 tablets
- Dish Soap varies by brand €1.00 – €2.90
- Dish Sponges €1.30 for 3 pack
- Paper towels €3.45 for a 6 roll pack
- Toilet Paper price varies by brand €3.00 – €4.20 for 12 roll pack
- Beer €1,70 to €5,70 for a six pack depending on brand bottles or cans
- Wine from €1,70 up for a bottle of wine. Average price for decent wine €3.00
- Gas or Diesel fuel about €1.42 per liter (remember 3.8 liters are in a gallon. OUCH!) Update as of February 2019 €1.19 per litre.
- The town bus is €1 per trip, so it is every time you get on, no transfers. Anya and I found out the hard way. And we had to get off at the “end of the line” even though we wanted to continue around the full loop. walking is easier and faster (unless the bus is right there)
Obviously, this list can go on and on. It can also vary if there is a sale (Oferta).
Just let me know if there is something you are curious about and I will try to cover. Also you may find it helpful to read our post on how to estimate the cost of living
Cost Of Living In Spain 2019 Details Revealed!
We have updated information for 2019 in the link above, so go check it out now!