Yes, I did say Free Things To Do in Porto, with kids! We had a wonderful time visiting Porto, Portugal (aka Oporto). We will have to tell you all about our adventures in another post. We were so thrilled to find so many free activities for the kids, we thought we would dedicate an entire post just to that. I am sure there are more free activities out there, but we didn’t have time to enjoy them all.
10 Free Things To Do In Porto With Kids
- The Atlantic Ocean
Take the bus out to the beach! Enjoy the Eastern shores of the energetic Atlantic Ocean. Rain or shine our kids love to go to the beach. This particular day was cold, rainy, and windy, so why not get splashed with the waves too. Heck, we were already wet why not allow a little more?
- Forte de São Francisco Xavier is a cool fort to walk around and depending on the tide, it can be a spectacular wave crashing show. This is on the Atlantic, just near the Sea Life Aquarium and Parque da Cidade. Around the front of the fort is a small draw bridge where the kids can play and let their imaginations run wild.
- Parque da Cidade, Porto – The City Park is the largest urban park in the country, with an area of 83 acres of green naturalized extending to the Atlantic Ocean. Throughout the City Park you can walk through a long network of trails (about 10 km) and let the kids run wild and enjoy themselves.
- The São Bento Railway Station – Once you step inside this railway station and you’ll find so much more than just a train station. The tile work on the walls is a sight to see. These alone make this an important landmark and a must see on our list of things to do in Porto. The kids played I Spy with the 20,000 plus tiles of battle scenes and much more. It was very exciting to see the modern trains come and go surrounded by buildings full of charm and character.
- Walk over the Dom Luís Bridge – This is a metal arch bridge that spans the Douro River between the cities of Porto and Vila Nova de Gaia in Portugal. At the time of construction its span of 172m was the longest of its type in the world. The upper level is very scenic and can be accessed just down the road from the Sao Bento Railway Station. Alternatively, you may cross on the lower level for quick access to the Port Cellars on the Gaia side.
- Free walking tour
- Port tasting – This is not free for adults on its own, but it is if you purchase the Citysightseeing Bus. Kids are free , but of course they don’t get to taste. We also stopped by Taylor’s and they provided the kids with a book and were very good to them.
- Mercado do Bolhão – Tucked away in the heart of the city, is this lively market. It is a two-level Partially covered building, where you will find just about anything you can think of. Upon entering, your socks will be knocked off by the incredible aroma of freshly baked breads as well as the smell of the different meats and cheese. You will also hear loud fish sellers offering their latest and freshest catch. Even if you don’t purchase anything, it is a sight to see, hear, smell and experience for the entire family.
- Museums – There are far too many to list here, but many are free on the weekends for all ages. During the week children are often free. If you have a Porto Card they are either free or discounted. I would advise going to the local tourist office and obtaining a list from them. They are full of information and maps as well as great advice.
- Six Bridges Douro River Boat Tour (Free for the kids). The bridges were spectacular, but the “postcard” view of Port was the best. We all loved the turn around point at the mouth of the river, where it meets the Atlantic. The waves were just crashing over the retaining walls and it was spectacular.
There are also many organized tours for you to enjoy from being active on walking or biking tour, to enjoying a food or wine tour. There is so much to do and Viator has so many great offers for you. Click here to see their latest Porto Deals!
Family Friendly Places to Stay in The Old City
- Intercontinental Porto Palacio Das Cardosas
- Hotel Da Bolsa
- Pestana Porto Hotel & World Heritage Site
- Grande Hotel De Paris
- Casas Do Porto Apartment
- Pensao Favorita Guest House
- Barredo Ribeira Oporto Apartments
- B. Places Apartment