So you are planning a trip for a week or a year and that dreaded question comes up. Should you buy travel insurance? This is really a personal choice for each and every person. When we traveled Southeast Asia for 10 months, we opted to buy travel insurance. We wanted to be sure we were covered for the unexpected. We’ve heard many stories of people having accidents and wishing they had travel insurance. We can only hope every day is a peaceful day.
Of course we can’t all predict the future, but you never know when an accident will happen. Is it better to purchase the insurance and not need to use it or to not purchase it and wish you had? I know we haven’t taken the risk, but it is really up to you.
When traveling in Southeast Asia, medical and dental services are very inexpensive. We were all about experiences, so we had an active life and did adventurous activities. We especially loved all of our scooter day adventures. With each of these choices, we put ourselves in a higher risk category for the dreaded “accident”. We don’t want to just live our lives sitting at home and we wanted to do all of those fun things. So, with our purchase of travel insurance, it gave us peace of mind.
We have purchased ours through World Nomads. Thankfully we have not had to make any claims against it, so we have not experienced the claims process.
Tip – if you are looking for long-term travel insurance coverage like we did, we found it was cheaper to purchase 6 months at a time, rather than 12 months. Shh don’t tell them we told you. There must be some bug in their system.
While we can’t advise you if you should or shouldn’t make the purchase, we can only share with you our choices. You will need to do what is right for you and your family. When we are based in Spain, we opt for private Spanish medical insurance.
Travel insurance: simple & flexible
You can buy, extend and claim online, even after you’ve left home. Travel insurance from WorldNomads.com is available to people from over 140 countries. It’s designed for adventurous travelers with cover for overseas medical, evacuation, baggage and a range of adventure sports and activities.
Pin me for later!
7 things you should know about travel insurance from WorldNomads.com
- Trusted reliable underwriters WorldNomads.com is backed by a suite of strong, secure, specialist travel insurers who provide you with great cover, 24 hour emergency assistance and the highest levels of support and claims management when you need it most.
- Value for money with the cover you need WorldNomads.com provides cover for what’s important for travelers from over 150 countries. By focusing on what you need and leaving out what you don’t, World Nomads prices are some of the most competitive online.
- Flexibility when you need it most Had a change of plans? You can extend your policy or claim online while you are still away. You can even buy a World Nomads policy if you’re already travelling.
- Cover for a range of adventure activities From skiing & snowboarding in New Zealand to whitewater rafting in Colorado, WorldNomads.com covers a range of adventure activities, giving you peace of mind to get the most from your travels.
- World Nomads keeps you travelling safely All WorldNomads.com members have access to up-to-date travel safety alerts, as well as travel safety advice and tips online through the World Nomads Travel Safety Hub.
- More than just great value travel insurance All WorldNomads.com members can learn the local lingo through a series of iPod & iPhone Language Guides and can stay in touch with family and friends with an online travel journal.
- Commitment to exceptional customer service We want to make sure you get the most from WorldNomads.com. You can find out more about why travel insurance is important for your trip. If you have any questions about your travel insurance or travel safety in general, please contact WorldNomads.com directly.