Alan and I have been married for nearly 17 years and we love to one up each other on creative ways to give a gift. These ideas are perfect for the “little to no footprint gifts“. We know it may seem a bit boring to just hand someone an envelope with a gift card or money inside. That’s not quite an elaborate presentation to build up excitement. Not to worry, we have some creative ways to give money as a gift or any gift for that matter.
Why not make some fun with the way you present the gift. We will share with you ideas which are perfect to replace the old-fashioned way of wrapping gifts. These would work for any gift and are ideal for those that are obvious or difficult to wrap, like golf clubs, a game console, spa visit or anything else you can think of.
Pin me for later!
For our family when you give a gift in a unique way, it makes the gift even more special. It doesn’t matter what the gift is. You can give money, give gift cards or even music or furniture. Whatever your choice of give, these are great, unique and creative ways to present a gift to anyone.
We often travel during the holidays and like to keep the material things to a minimum, so the presentation of a gift is just as important to us. Since we like a big “to do” about the presentation of a gift, we can really focus on one person opening a gift at a time. It makes the moment last and more memorable. We still say “Oh, remember that time we did the scavenger hunt to find the Wii?” or which ever gift it was. We have fond memories of not only the gift, but the experience in which it was given.
8 Creative Ways To Give A Gift – No Ordinary Wrapping Allowed
Make a lasting memory with the way you present a gift!
- Scavenger Hunt – This has to be our all time favorite and we often combine with other fun things. We have several to share from the past. Just create some clues from one destination to the next and the final clue can have the gift or a clue to what the gift is. This takes a little planning and planting of clues.
The present for the scavenger hunt below was found on the back side of the tree. It was a drawing of our family in an airplane leaving NC and flying to NY. The gift to the grandparents was us going to visit them in NY on a future date.
- Each station a Hint and instructions to the next clue were presented. The hints that were collected were the letter “W” a picture of an “eye” and the letter “i”. Putting the puzzle together it was a Wii….Which was hidden unwrapped behind the TV.
- Puzzle pieces – Draw a picture or print one. This picture or photo can be an image of the actual gift, a word, a clue to where the gift is hidden or a riddle to solve). Cut into 20 pieces, similar to a jigsaw puzzle. Present the puzzle pieces as the gift and they need to put the puzzle back together. The kind and type of puzzle can be anything you want. The more complex the puzzle, the more suspense. If they want the present, they gotta earn it! The puzzle below was giving Lars VIP passes to his first professional Fútbol game. If you are really creative, you can overlay some text or an image on the below puzzle and cut it out for them. I would suggest you just cut on your own, but this looks more authentic.
- Monkey See Monkey Do – These are fun! You can provide a list of “things” one needs to do to obtain their gift or a clue to where it is. This is so much fun when you are giving the gift of an experience, like Warner Brothers tickets or something. Get free shipping on thousands of items over $100 at WBshop.com! Shop now!
- Visual Clues – This one can be a bit tricky, but it is handy to use those homophones for this one. The gift idea below was a day for dad without the wife and kids. He could come and go and do whatever he pleases that day. I took the kids to the zoo for the day of his choice.
- Riddles or Questions – Create a fun riddle that needs to be solved. The answer to the riddle can either be a clue to the gift or the answer.
- Example Riddle for a day at the Spa:
- “What gets wetter and wetter the more it dries?” A towel of course.
- I have holes in my top and bottom, my left and right, and in the middle. But I still hold water. What am I? A sponge.
- Take the two answers above to a place to relax and rhymes with ah! A Spa.
- It can also be more of a “mystery gift” and you can have the person ask questions with only Yes or No answers available, similar to 20 questions.
- Example Riddle for a day at the Spa:
- Balloon notes – Make a note or card, cut into a few to several pieces. Place each piece into a balloon, blow it up, tie it and present a balloon bouquet. The recipient has to pop all the balloons and put together to read.
- A quick website or web page – Alan is a whiz with creating technical things. Here he explains what you can do if you’re technically inclined, by building a website/webpage for the recipient.Alan: “A webpage can add another layer of obfuscation to the end gift. The key is to customize the page to the person/gift. For example, last Christmas I created “Santa’s Portal” website. When Heidi opened the website, there was a form that asked her for her Name and DOB (for verification purposes), and when she submitted the form, it told her that she was a very deserving wife, and that she did in fact qualify for a gift that year. It then provided a link so she could “redeem” her gift. Once she clicked the link, a music album that she really wanted started playing.” Alan had thought of a clever way of giving me some MP3s and the files were stored on my laptop in my music folder!
- Video or Slide Show – Have them unwrap their gift in a video, you can give hints in photos or text flashes on the screen. You can really make this loads of fun. Perhaps a hint with the music. I had some great friend announce they were expecting their first child this way and it was wonderful. It was full of photos of them through out the year and some text slides hinting a change was coming. I was sure they were going to move. Nope I was wrong. They were announcing they were pregnant with their first child. What a great gift!
- Here are some ideas for special ways to give gifts when you travel.
Here are our amazingly clever gifts from Christmas in Vietnam.
- Create A Lasting Experience For The Holidays – For us there is absolutely nothing better than the gift of experience. We share our thoughts with you and as you can see, the feeling and spirit of Christmas can be anywhere!
- We love our Mystery Gift Tradition – One person buys a gift and wraps it. On Christmas eve or morning, the group passes it around. Each person is allowed to ask one yes or no question and then guess the contents of the package. It continues until someone makes an accurate guess. The kids love this one!
Organized Tours a great way to give the gift of an experience!
If you are looking for gifts which will take up little to no space then check out our
Unique Holiday Gift Guide.
This post does contain affiliate links. If you choose to select them and make a purchase, we do get a very small % commission.