As we’ve talked about before, Heidi and I are scuba divers (we even met during a dive trip). We love being underwater, and experiencing a completely different environment. The kids are big fans of snorkeling, so all of us were ready for a day of fun at the SEA Aquarium. Technically it’s the S.E.A. Aquarium, and it stands for Southeast Asia, but you get the drift.
Located in Sentosa, which is the popular island resort in Singapore, the aquarium is very easy to get to via mass transit. We arrived at the VivoCity Mall (via the SMRT), and it was a short walk to the S.E.A. Aquarium entrance.
I will admit that when I saw the size of the building, I was disappointed. The building was so small that I thought, “There’s no way the aquarium is going to be any good if it’s in such a small building.” I was way wrong, and I’ll explain in a bit.
The ground level of the aquarium has a number of shops to purchase souvenirs, and a place to eat, but once you start on the “proper” tour, there is a huge amount of historical artwork, displays, and displays. The way they have presented the information about the Southeast Asia maritime routes is remarkable.
The best part, and the reason we went there was we wanted to see some sea critters! We went down a level, and through some more displays, and then were presented with a view of an aquarium that was gorgeous. I find it so relaxing just standing and watching the fish swim around. Ahhhh. I was still disappointed as I didn’t understand how large the S.E.A. Aquarium truly is. Had I seen this, I would have known:
See?! It’s amazing. I was bummed out, because I was just looking at that tiny part at the very beginning. Stupid me! As we walked along, there was so much to see, it’s hard to put it all into words. Not only were the fish amazing to watch, but there were signs which explained the various fish, so if you’re looking for a great learning experience for all ages, this is a fantastic place to visit. It’s one of those places that I would definitely visit again.
Here’s some of the pictures we took on our way to the Pièce de Résistance.
Pretty impressive, huh?! Well it got better. We walked to the very end, and there is an awesome tank. It’s the kind of awesome that I told Lars, “When we become billionaires, this is the kind of tank I want in my mansion!”. A guy can dream right?
As we were walking out, we ran into some other travelers who were investigating one of the displays. Not your average tourists to be sure…
Now if this post didn’t motivate you to want to visit the S.E.A. Aquarium, then I don’t know what will. If you’re visiting Singapore, check out the S.E.A. Aquarium and marvel at the life that lives in our seas and oceans.
Pin me for later!
Places To Stay In Singapore With Kids
- Grand Copthorne Waterfront – Overlooking the historic Singapore River, Grand Copthorne Waterfront Hotel Singapore is a premier upscale conference hotel where luxurious elegance and contemporary style go hand in hand.
Check prices & availability
- Resorts World Sentosa – Beach Villas – Located in Sentosa, Resorts World Sentosa – Beach Villas is merely seven kilometers away from the city center. Check prices & availability
- Copthorne King’s Hotel – With a coveted site along the historic and picturesque Singapore River, Copthorne King’s Hotel Singapore enjoys a central location in the heart of this cosmopolitan city. Check prices & availability
- Resorts World Sentosa – Festive Hotel – right near the SEA Aquarium and Universal Studios. Check prices & availability
- Champion Hotel – Well-situated for all types of transport, Champion Hotel is an ideal base for guests to travel around the city. The airport can be reached within 15 minutes. Check prices & availability
- Inn at Temple Street Hotel – The Inn at Temple Street Hotel is conveniently located within the central business district, 20 minutes from Changi International Airport, and within easy reach of Raffles Place and the Orchard Road shopping and entertainment district. Check prices & availability
- RELC International Hotel offers an excellent location for both business and leisure travelers to this island nation. Just minutes from the famed Orchard Road, guests are surrounded by shops and dining venues. Check prices & availability
- V Hotel Lavender – A great place to stay in Singapore, this hotel boasts its 888 modernly furnished rooms located right in the city center, creating comfort and convenience for its guests. Check prices & availability
- Resorts World Sentosa – Hard Rock Hotel – Experience the one and only accommodation that offers you a sleek, contemporary design and fashionable dining options at Resorts World Sentosa – Hard Rock Hotel. Check prices & availability